Dr Greg Raymond is a research fellow in the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre. He is currently working on a research project looking at Thailand, the United States and China. He is also converting his PhD thesis on Thailand’s strategic culture into a book. Before joining the ANU, Greg worked extensively in Government, including in strategic and defence international policy areas of the Department of Defence.
- Southeast Asian security with a focus on Thailand and Indonesia, including Southeast Asia’s relations with the Great Powers.
- Strategic culture, regional militaries and institutional and historically-informed approaches to understanding the armed forces and strategic outlooks of countries in our region.
- Australian defence and foreign policy, including on disputes such as the South China Sea.
- August 12, 2015: Subplots in Thailand’s submarine setback
- June 24, 2015: Australia needs a diplomatic sea change in the South China Sea
- November 14, 2014: Is Thailand arming civilians in the south? Not quite
- November 11, 2014: Thai–Cambodia relations one year after the ICJ judgement
- August 24, 2015: Life after the Bangkok blast
- 1 October, 2015: What’s displacing Air Sea Battle in US military planning?
- 15 October, 2015: Canberra Times: Wave of rhetoric on South China Sea sets dangerous tone
- 16 October, 2015: New Mandala: Wave of rhetoric on South China Sea sets dangerous tone
- 29 October, 2015: Canberra Times: Sea folly and US-China relations
- October 2015: Asia and the Pacific Policy Society Sea folly and US-China relations
- 22 January 2016: The Interpreter: Five ways Australian politicians could do some good on the South China Sea
- 27 January 2016: East Asia Forum: Economic imperatives warm Thai–Cambodian ties
- 18 February 2016: Canberra Times: Facing reality in the South China Sea
- 26 February 2016: Canberra Times: Playing by the global rules
- 5 April 2016: The Interpreter: Political amnesia is damaging Australia’s national security
- 30 May 2016: The Interpreter: The South China Sea: Next Stop the UN Security Council?
- 7 June 2016: - With Danielle Cave Brisbane Times: Time to pull other levers in South China Sea power struggle